Blog Post #45 – Carmel Basketball (Regionals Edition)

Katelyn Conley, Blog Manager

On Saturday, March 13th, the Carmel Men’s Basketball team traveled to Logansport to take on the Homestead Spartans in the Regional Semi-Finals of the State tournament. The #1 25-0 Homestead Spartans went into the game with an undefeated season with their stars being Illionis commit senior Luke Goode and Purdue commit junior Fletcher Loyer. The #2 22-2 Carmel Greyhounds went into the game on a 6 game winning streak with their stars being juniors Peter Suder, Charlie Williams, and senior Brian Waddell. 

The Greyhounds came out of the game determined to take an early lead. They were successful at this task, because at the end of the first quarter, the Hounds were ahead of the Spartans with a score of 12-4. Continuing with laser defense and sharp shooting, the Hounds maintained the lead over the Sparatans for the entirety of the second quarter. Sophomore Sam Orme was able to drain a three from downtown with one minute to go in the half, putting the Hounds up 23-15! Going into the locker room, the Hounds had the advantage over the Spartans at halftime with a score of 25-17!

With high intents of breaking the Spartans undefeated season, the Hounds continued their fight. Senior Wil Leary, who has shown consistent sharp shooting all season, came off the bench and was able to drain a 3! Carmel was able to push their lead to the largest of the day leaving Homestead with a 10 point deficit with 3 minutes to go in the third quarter. The Hounds were able to run down the clock and junior Peter Suder was able to knock in the floater from the lane. At the end of the third quarter, Carmel 42, Homestead 32.

However, you can’t count out the #1 Spartans just yet. They were able to shorten the Greyhounds lead to 7. With back and forth action provided by strong defense, Fletcher Loyer (Spartans) was able to drain a 3 and pull the Spartans within four with 2 minutes remaining. However, junior Charlie Williams had something to say as he was able to get 6 within the final 1:30 of play, including four free throws, and a layup. The Hounds would go on to defeat the Spartans with a score of 61-49! 

The Hounds would go on to play the Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos in the evening game for the Regional Finals. The Bronchos went into the game defeating earlier opponent Fort Wayne Carroll by a score of 52-46 with a record of 25-2. The star of the Bronchos was Northwestern commit senior Brooks Barnhizer. Both teams coming out of early morning battles were ready to go at it for a chance to punch their ticket to the Semi-state game that would take place next Saturday. 

The Greyhounds were able to show no mercy yet again and came out of the gate on a hot steak. However, the worthy Bronchos were able to put up just as much of a fight. At the end of a very exciting first quarter, the Greyhounds had the lead over the Bronchos with a score of 16-11!

The second quarter proved to be even more exciting than the first with multiple lead changes! However, with three minutes to go in the first half, Carmel was leading Lafayette Jeff by a score of 26-22. But don’t count out the Bronchos just yet, as Brooks Barnhizer was able to get the lead for the Bronchos! As time expired for the first half, the Bronchos had the lead over the Greyhounds with a score of 27-26. 

Coming out of the locker room, the Hounds recollected themselves and were able to generate their sharp shooting and strong defense as seen in their first game against the Homestead Spartans! Going on a 10-0 run, Carmel ends the third quarter after the Osborn timeout. Hounds led the Bronchos 38-34. 

Determined to close out the game, sophomore Sam Orme went on a hot streak and knocked down three 3’s in a row! With a timeout on the floor, Carmel was ahead with a score of 46-42 with four minutes to go in the fourth quarter! However, the Bronchos were not done yet as they were able to come back and tie the game with a score of 48-48 with a minute to go! Hounds trailed 49-48 as the Bronchos were able to go ½ at the line after a Carmel foul. :28 left coming out of the timeout. Carmel had the ball as both teams were in the bonus. Senior Brian Waddell went to the line and was able to knock down both of his free throws giving Carmel the one point lead! With time left for one final play by the Bronchos, Carmel senior Connor Gioia was able to knock away the pass and Carmel junior Josh Whack was able to grab the ball for the Hounds to win! The final score was 50-49! The Hounds will play this Saturday in the Semi-state game against Gary West Side at Lafayette Jefferson with a start time of 3:45! WHJE will be on the call and as always you can listen here at 91.3 WHJE or whje.com!