Blog Post #55 – Recap Dance Marathon 2021

Katelyn Conley, Blog Manager

On Saturday, May 15th, Carmel put on their annual Dance Marathon! Dance Marathon raises money for the kids at Riley Children’s Hospital who are undergoing treatment from pediatric cancer. Carmel students raise money all year leading up to the event! Dance Marathon was founded at Indiana University in 1991 in memory of Ryan White, who was set to attend the university later that year, but unfortunately passed away from AIDS/HIV following a bad blood transfusion. Since 1991, there are approximately 300,000 participants annually, 400+ schools that get involved, 170 hospitals that are helped, and over $300 million raised.

In a “regular” year, CDM (Carmel Dance Marathon) is held during the last weekend of February all throughout CHS. However, with the uncertainties of COVID, CDM had to be pushed back until May. You may recall, WHJE pitched in on the action in February where we hosted Rileython, which raised over $9,000 dollars for the kids. This year, CDM raised $400,025.89! 

WHJE was there the day of bringing you all the action from CDM! None of this could have been possible without you! The money raised will go directly back to the kids at Riley where it will support research and future training, the purchasing of new equipment, the pay for uncompensated care, and so much more to save and improve the lives of children! WHJE is FTK!

(Photo from 2016 Dance Marathon!)