The Voice of the Carmel Greyhounds

WHJE 91.3

The Voice of the Carmel Greyhounds

WHJE 91.3

The Voice of the Carmel Greyhounds

WHJE 91.3

Passing the Torch

A Tribute to WHJE’s Class of 2024

As their senior year comes to an end, WHJE’s Class of 2024, are far from reaching their end. Filled with many talented students, the Class of ‘24 have helped create history in the station.
They led the station to five first place, two second place and third place wins at IASB (Indiana Association of Student Broadcasters), as well as seven honorable mentions. And that’s just one competition, IASB is far from everything they helped the station achieve.
At the IBS (Intercollegiate Broadcasting System) conference, they led the way for 26 first place awards and 35 runner ups. Though the largest award is far from an individual prize, with the help of the senior class being the best we’ve seen, WHJE has won Best High School Radio Station for the third time in four years.
However, awards can’t always represent the meaning of a station. Everyone views it differently, and the senior class knows its meaning the best having been a part of it for years.
“WHJE is more than a radio station to me. I have met so many great people, and gotten so much experience through the station. For that I am grateful to have been a part of such a special group of people.” Says Brooks White, who will be studying Sports Broadcasting at Indiana University.
Gigi Welp spoke on how “WHJE is the reason I’m studying journalism in college. If it weren’t for WHJE, I don’t know what I would be doing with my future. WHJE has given me experience in so many areas of broadcasting and production, and as a result I have been able to explore my interests and refine my skills. WHJE has been a tremendous blessing in my life, both for my present with the friends I’ve made and my future at IU.
Meanings all have explanations, they are founded by memories and moments. The best of which create the impact, but what are the best memories?
“My favorite moment with WHJE has to have been the moment we found out that we were the best radio station in the Nation, the energy and excitement with that was unbeatable,” said Olivia Grimes, who will go to study communications at Ball State.
Ella McElroy, future student of Purdue University answered, “This past year’s Rileython truly takes the cake. We did such a good job at building a strong community within our station  that really made it special. Additionally, we managed to raise $2,000 OVER our original goal of $15,000, and I couldn’t be more proud of our hard work.”
To finish, we asked the seniors for a piece of advice for future students of WHJE. For most seniors, they have been here for four years, they know the station almost as well as the Station Manager, Dominic James. When asked, all the seniors had such amazing advice to give, so here is the ultimate advice from our seniors.
“Don’t be afraid to try new things, experiment in every department possible, enjoy everything, be confident in yourself, do your work so you don’t make James hate you, and make the most of it as the four years fly by.”
All in all, this year wouldn’t have been the same without our seniors. We wish the best of luck to our graduating class, so here’s to them, the Class of 2024, may your futures be everything you want them to be. Now onto the Class of 2025, arriving August 2024.