Blog Post#29- Recap Carmel Men’s Basketball v. Cathedral

Katelyn Conley, Blog Manager

On Wednesday, January 13th, the Carmel Men’s Basketball team faced off against the Cathedral Fighting Irish at the Eric Clark Activity Center. Carmel went into the game with a record of 10-0 ranking #2, while Cathedral held a record of 9-1 ranking #6. With Covid restrictions in place, and games being limited to intermediate family attendance only, WHJE was on the call for a very exciting game as these top ten teams faced off!

The first quarter opened up and both teams went at it! Both the Hounds and the Irish provided great defense as the eight minutes in the first quarter flew by! The first ended with Sophomore Sam Orme hitting a buzzer beater to give the Hounds the advantage over the Irish with a score of 13-12. 

With the start of the second quarter, the Hounds proved to be the strong team that they are and extended their lead over the Irish! The leaders of the Greyhound team include Peter Suder, Brian Waddell, and Charlie Williams. All three assisted in widening the lead to 22-19 with only a few minutes left in the half! However, you can’t count out the Irish! The Irish were able to put a stop to the Greyhounds scoring drive and put up five points! The Hounds went into the locker room trailing to the Irish with a score of 22-24!

Coming out for the second half, both teams were hungry to close out this intense contest! Nevertheless, the Fighting Irish proved to be victorious in this conquest as they had a 6-0 scoring lead over the Hounds, making the score 22-30 within the first few minutes of the third! In spite of this, the Hounds still proved to be determined and cut the Irish’s lead to a two-point deficit, 31-33, with only a few minutes to go in the quarter! As the final minutes ended, the Hounds went into the fourth trailing the Irish by a score of 36-38.

With more back and forth action between these two teams, the Hounds were able to take back the lead! Brian Waddell was able to slam it home to give the Hounds two more with a timeout on the floor! With five minutes to go, the score was 43-42 in favor of the Hounds! Even with this effort, Cathedral took the lead again with a score of 47-45! As time expired, the Irish were able to maintain their lead with a score of 51-50! The Hounds would drop to 10-1 and the Irish would improve to 10-1!

The Men’s team will be back in action on Friday, January 29th at the Eric Clark Activity Center at 7:30! Tune into 91.3 WHJE or whje.com for the call!

Photo credit to Hannah Baer!